Crystal's World

Welcome to my world! This is where you can see my crafty projects and probably learn a little about me and my projects!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mock Crochet Shrug


I know it's been awhile... I even got e-mails from some of you asking me to post. It's just been crazy, but I've been busy, busy, busy! That's a good thing, right?

Well, I've got a few pictures of things I've been working on. And, I KNOW you come here for the pictures!

I'm making this meshy shrug for a fellow bellydance student.
I started it out on the blue round Knifty Knitter loom, and tonight we did our first fitting. Well, it's too small so it's frogging for me! The pics show the shrug on the blue KK loom. But, I will be upgrading to the green one. I really don't mind frogging it, I LOVE the mock crochet stitch. It's so fun to do and it goes pretty fast!

The shrug is being made with King Tut yarn in a light minty-sage green. Is that a color? Well... it's not too mint green, and not too sage- so I think it's minty sage! :-) King Tut yarn is an Egyptian cotton yarn, and it's got a nice sheen to it- it doesn't say that it's mercerized, but it looks like it. It has a nice feel - since it's cotton, it doesn't have a lot of stretch, which is ok with this stitch on the loom. There isn't a size on it, but I'd guess it's DK or baby weight.


Here you can see that I knit the first sleeve in the round, then stopped and split it into a flat panel, then, I started knitting it in the round again. It was actually further along, but I didn't get pictures before I started frogging it. I'll take more pics when it's been redone on the red loom.

I plan to also add a crochet border to the sleeves and around the opening. I saw a cute crochet border technique on Knitty Gritty today... I'm probably going to do that.



The border goes something like this for you crocheters out there...
row 1 - sc evenly around the pice
row 2 - ch 3, skip one stitch, sc in next stitch
row 3 - In each loop that was made from row 2, 1sc, 1hdc, 1sc.
I can't wait to see how this comes out! I'll keep you posted. I might even make up a pattern for this one! (I didn't find a lacy shrug pattern on the web when I searched) The closest I found was one that Isela made- it looks very warm- but my friend wanted lacy!) IF you plan to do one of these, the blue KK loom will accommodate someone with arms that are about 10" around the biggest part. For everyone else... Stay tuned, I'll let you know how the round green KK loom works out for her!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like the way that looks. i have been working on a shrug using the same stitch but using moda dea aerie (bulky 5) in black. im using a pattern from the book knitting wheel fashions.this pattern calls for the large yellow loom, working a flat panel, then sewing sides together when done. i think it may be a larger shrug than my 20yr old daughter would like-im curious about your methon-sounds so much simpler!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home